Sunday, June 8, 2008

June 8, 2008 - Junior Rose Parade

Okay, I should've posted this on Wednesday, but I got sidetracked and all that. But...on Wednesday, Brianna and I walked in the Junior Rose Parade in Portland. Or rather, I should say, I walked, Brianna rolled along in her stroller. She did amazingly well, too! We were right between two marching bands, and everyone around us had these obnoxious light-up clappers, so I fully expected that she would be completely overwhelmed and crying the whole time. But, she was smiling and happy! We walked alongside a family we met at therapy one day, and occasionally alongside Brianna's PT, who was pushing another little boy in a wheelchair. He was utterly sweet. While we were waiting for the parade to start, Brianna was very fussy. She doesn't like sitting in her stroller when we aren't moving. So, at first I got out a toy for her to play with. She didn't like that much. But the little boy was making the toy make noises for her. When I took Brianna out of her seat to cuddle, he played with the toy, and kept trying to help straighten the straps of the stroller, and trying to straighten my purse, which I set in the seat to keep the stroller from toppling over from the weight on the back. He really was enchanting. And he LOVED those clappers!

Anyway, the parade was about a mile long, but because I had to park near the end and walk back to the beginning, I ended up walking more like 2.5 miles. No big deal. The exercise did me good, even if I was sore afterwards. It also helped work out an ingrown toenail I had. I was scheduled to have my toenail removed because of it on Thursday, but Wednesday night, I soaked my feet, they hurt so bad, and that corner came out! So yay for not having surgery! NOT a good idea to start a new job doped up on pain pills, unable to walk, after having a toenail removed.

Back to the topic at hand...I am so proud of Brianna for how well she did during the parade. She was so calm and cool, and her typical sweet self. She definitely took a lot of stress off my mind by behaving so well through it all. Our theme for this year was "Super Heroes". We all got t-shirts, they fed us lunch, and hung a cape from the back of Brianna's stroller. There were little kids dressed up in full on superhero gear. A pink Superwoman, a firefighter with a super soaker, a Batman, a fairy princess, and many others. There were also two service dogs who wore t-shirts, and one little Yorkie named Natalie, with a pink bow on her head, who rode along in a stroller.


Brianna, waiting for the parade to start

This is one of the service dogs (I can't remember his name)

Natalie on her royal throne

Some of the clowns and others waiting for the parade to start

More people waiting...see the capes?

The lady on the left, with the green clapper, is Lynn, the PT student who has been observing our sessions.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Sounds like a neat parade. I'm glad that Brianna enjoyed it so much!

Barbara said...

Great pictures - I'm glad you guys had a good time and Brianna enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Where have you been, Mel??? Come out, come out, wherever you are!! Hope the job is going ok & hope you picked a FABULOUS sitter for Bri!!!
((HUGS))
-Melissa

Andrew Clarke said...

Hi Melinda, I found your blog site when I was looking for people who like reading fantasy. I'm glad I found your site because, in all honesty, some of what talks about is a topic I dwell on. If you want to visit my blog, it is http://threeswans.blogspot.com If you like such novels as Frank Peretti's 'The Oath', you might like to preview another title: "Outcasts Of Skagaray". I wrote it out of concern for the way a cruel society rejects some of its members because they do not match an 'ideal'. You can preview it by reading the sample chapters on www.threeswans.com.au If you decide to read it, I would be delighted to know what you think. Whatever happens, I wish you and your daughter all the best.

Siggie

Siggie
Photobucket