Saturday, April 19, 2008

April 19, 2008 - Brianna has a cold

Well, Brianna has a horrible cold right now. Nose running constantly, eye buggers, fussy, and lots and lots of snot. Snot galore. Buckets of it. Never ending snot. But, she seems pretty happy. Peachy, actually.

Oh, and have I mentioned lately that she has developed a stubborn streak? Lately, when we go up for therapy at Shriner's, she has gotten very stubborn and contrary. You say "Go left", she goes right. You say, "Let's go down here...", she starts turning circles. You ask if she wants stickers, she goes to the fish, and vice versa. And she has a grin on her face the entire time. She deliberately runs into walls. She runs over feet. She follows people. She is so precocious! And I'm loving every minute of it.

When you've got a non-mobile, non-verbal child who doesn't seem to be outgrowing those baby looks, like Brianna, it's easy to forget that she is almost 3 years old. Most 3 year olds are showing their little personalities. But to me, Brianna has been eternally an infant. So when I see little snippets of her personality coming through, it's amazing to me. It reminds me just how wonderful and special she is.

Like, the other day...she was so quiet and calm, I fell asleep on the couch, watching cartoons with her. Next thing I know, she's shrieking happily...I look down, she had gotten into a bag of cotton balls and strewn them all over herself (I know, Melissa, you're probably cringing and shuddering right now). She had clothes all over herself. And she was absolutely thrilled. So, I couldn't be upset with her.

4 comments:

Information said...

Amazing.
I have just stumbled onto your blog, through a friend of a friend. I have four special needs children myself and in the midst of seizures I have been down lately. This blog has really put things in perspective for me. I know that all of my childrens needs are not as great as Brianna's, but I have never been so moved by a mother's words. I have often cried in amazement at my children and the "personality" as you have mentioned coming through. With others around me wondering how it can mean so much to me. To read someone's blog who understands and lives it every day is nothing short of amazing. Thank you for helping me by just being you.

*frustrated advocate in MN*

Dawn said...

Melinda - love this post! Brianna certainly has quite the devil inside her a bit. :P

Barbara said...

Your beautiful post brought tears to my eyes. Although our situations are a bit different, recently Bennett has been doing a lot of typical toddler things - and like you, I just can't bring myself to be upset about it.

Good for you Brianna! Keep it up. Hope you get rid of that darn cold soon.

Anonymous said...

Those darn cotton balls!!! :)
Wish you would have snapped a a picture....although I probably would have shrieked!!
Brianna sounds just as mischevious as my Mia.....getting into EVERYTHING!!! :)

Siggie

Siggie
Photobucket